Tuesday, January 15, 2013





To begin to comprehend the word Cyberspace and all that it entails is a overwhelming idea. Cyberspace can be produced by mobile phones, electronic surveillance, and video conferencing. As of September 8th, 2012 there are 7,038,044,500 people in the world. To think of all those individuals are putting their own input on cyberspace makes it hard to wrap your mind around the depth of the compacity it contains.  

The U.N telecom agency says there were about 6 billion cell phones subscriptions by the end of 2011. This means roughly one for ever 86 of every 100 people have cybercultures in the palm of their hands and access to the virtual worlds at any given point. Facebook is a perfect example of a piece of cyberculture that over 500 million users take a piece of. Facebook is now used by 1 in every 13 people on earth, with over 250 million of them (over 50%) who log in every day. 48% of 18-34 year olds check Facebook when they wake up, with 28% doing so before even getting out of bed. 72% of all internet users have a Facebbook account. 



With having the Facebook application installed nearly 20 million times a day on cellular devices. This number alone says that our phones have changed from making phone calls but to a device that allows one to have constant contact with the virtual world. Phones have also taken on the different worlds of a personal diary, a health indicator, entertainment device, and a status symbol. I have several friends who have the My Fitness Pal application on their phone. This application allows them to track calories and log their daily exercise. With me working for Country radio, I have a a Country news application that allows me to stay up to date and receive breaking information that I can then update the station’s social media. Lastly, the type of phone that one carries is a status symbol of how “in” they are with the current trend. My cousin who is 16 and in public, high school will vouch that if you do not have an iPhone you are not cool. Any other kind of phone is not nice enough as the iPhone and if you do not have one, you must not can afford it. 
 Everything now a days is customizable so everyone can make it their own. I have an iPhone but to make it different from all of the other hundreds, I have a case with polka dots and I have not seen one like mine yet. Just like my phone, I want a e-mail ID that is personal to me. That is why when I was 18, I made sweetgeorgiapeach90@yahoo.com. This allowed me to set myself apart from all other accounts. I felt like I got to summarize and distinguish myself from many other emails that get seen everyday. When I first started working at Kicks 101.5 that is one way they remembered me, by my e-mail. Consumer culture plays on the need for people to want to be individualists. Cell phones allow for customized ringtones, Facebook allows profile pictures and Twitter allows you to make a username. Is anyone truly being an individualist when they are becoming part of these digital worlds? Are they not just following the rest of the crowd and joining along? Yes, one may make their Facbook unique but at the end of the day its still a Facebook and they are part of that culture.
It is crazy to know that Amazon.com does not have a physical store. It is a unique company that links itself between globalization, technology, and commerce. They use a flexible screen geography that is designed for and by the individual user. What an amazing tool that the individual can mold and make to fit their own. Amazon. com has threatened so many different franchises with their low prices that now Target and Best Buy will now match any of their prices. 
I do wonder, who governs Cyberspace? You hear that some text messages you send that “someone else” reads everyone of them. If you put certain words in a text message about the President then someone could knock on your door.  Also, once something is put into Cyberspace you can never retrieve it. Can Cyberspace ever get overloaded. Does someone need to be going through everything and deleting stuff before there’s too much and we cannot put any more on it?

When one thinks of cyberculture does gaming cross their mind? Video games went from public places to the home in the 1990s. This drastically changed game culture forever, Whether its war games or Disney games from the movies, gaming is a integral part of digital culture. In addition to video games there is computer, arcade, and handheld games. Men have been the main pioneers in bringing this phenomenon to this day in age. Video games have taken cyberculture from a television and a flat computer screen to another complete world. Games take the player into an interactive world and allows different roles to be played. Response from the games of course have shown that kids have shown anxiety and less interest to be outside. my brother would be a good example of this. He started playing video games when he was about eight year  old. He went from Nintendo to Playstation to Wii and now, Xbox. My brother hates to be outside and is a quiet individual. I do believe him playing games as a kid has molded him into a person who is a withdrawn homebody. 












No comments:

Post a Comment