Tuesday, January 22, 2013



"A cyborg, short for "cybernetic organism", is a being with both organic and cybernetic parts. The term was coined in 1960 when Manfred Clynes and Nathan S. Kline used it in an article about the advantages of self-regulating human-machine systems in outer space." Turkle goes about describing a cyborg as a person who carries a computer and radio transmitter in their backpacks along with a keyboard in their pocket. Digital displays were clipped onto their eye glasses allowing them to always be wirelessly connected to the Internet. “Always online, free from desks and cables.” This experiment is now a phenomenon that takes place every day in this age. We are now all cyborgs who use this digital outlet as a way of being better prepared and organized in an “increasingly complex information environment.” 
I got my first cell phone when I turned 13 years old. This was a tool my mom used in a way of staying in touch and as a way of feeling more secure about my location and activities. The new technologies of connection have revolutionized buisness by allowing meetings to happen in a online chat room, digital screen calls, and consistent emails. No longer are face to face meetings necessary when you are not required to leave your home. Education has been transformed by online schooling. I had to take Algebra 3 online when I was a senior in high school. There was a digital white board that the teacher could interact with me on. I also could plug in head phones and here the lesson taught to me while she visually would write it out. When it was time to turn on homework, I would digitally scan my homework into a drop box where she would then grade it. I would not have to change out of my pajamas. In the medical field, customers are able to take a picture of their prescription bottle and have it refilled without any heavy lifting. Being digitally plugged in has opened many possibilities. 

I love how she brings up the point that we have named cell phones after flavors such as: chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. There is most certainly a sweetness to them that lures buyers in. Cell phones have changed lives forever in bringing peace of mind, availability, easiness, and instant answers. No wonder we name such devices as yummy flavors. They have changed the dating scene. No one comes by to sit on your front porch and talk to get to know you, no one asks you out for ice cream after school to catch up. Kids now just text their “crush.” If they decided to take it to the next level they then may call but no one truly has to go out of their way but just to simply push call. 
Traveling is now more actively social. Turkle speaks of her trip to France with her daughter. One of her daughter’s friends calls and asks if they can do lunch at the end of the week. Her daughter accepts and they make plans but Turkle points out that her daughter’s friend has not the slightest clue her daughter is out of the country. Turkle reminisces on her first trip to France. She spoke about how much she enjoyed separating herself from “home.” Her daughter cannot relate to that separation but only know the constant connect with anyone and everyone. 
I would enjoy sometimes to not have a phone and not to always be on “call.” I then again would love to be brunette some days. I would think it would be nice to be in my own world and not have a constant buzzing on my side, wanting answers. But just like my blonde hair, I cannot let it go. I am always in wonder of who may need to reach me whether its my family, boyfriend, friends or my job. I did put off getting a smart phone until I needed directions instantly and realized the many applications that could be of help such as, gas buddy. It is an app that allows you to find the cheapest gas in town. Instead of calling my brother each time, I can now find out in a total of 10 seconds. 
I enjoy being able to text my friends daily wishing them a wonderful day or that I am praying for them. If I am at a doctors appointment and do not have the opportunity to call, I can shoot a quick text. This new age is just beyond convenient.
Since we are now so dependent on this finger tip technology can we live without it? I like many others check my email before I get out of bed. I will glance at Instagram before I go to sleep. Why are we so dependent on what goes on around us? The idea of putting a stop to it and being still sounds appetizing but does anyone have the discipline to put it into practice?
Since when is the physical person next to you the absent one instead of the person that is technologically connected to you and possibly thousands of miles away? Turkle described a situation of being on a train. She felt as if she was the one being made invisible by the engrossed conversation the man next to her was having on the phone. She felt as if she was completely transparent sitting in the seat beside him. How are we so good at becoming so absorbed in our technological worlds? The man on the train either made Turkle feel invisible or he had already made himself absent from the scene that he was physically present in. I will admit when my mom is talking to me, I can be so engrossed in a text message that I can barely managed to look up or even focus on her being right in front of me. Why the urgency when I could set the phone down for five minutes. It’s not like the text will send itself half way typed!

This chapter hits the nail on the head by being titled, "Always On." We are a society that is always on and constantly connected to one another. Do we ever turn off?




No comments:

Post a Comment