Wednesday, January 30, 2013


I am blogging about the book Alone Together written by Sherry Turkle. We are on chapter 10, titled no need to call.
Has technology caused people to be more introverted? Are shy people even more shy because technology has inhibited them to branch out and develop social skills? Turkle makes a very interesting point when she talks about shy people only opening up to a screen... I am trying to place myself in a reserved/introverted person's shoes. Do they feel more confident because no one can look them in the eye? They do not have to see the other person's reaction? Why does an electronic unlock that personal connection where one can let go? I have often wondered if many people do not make the connection that people are on the other end reading what the are writing.


She also mentions that electronic messaging allows people to take their time in responding. They can edit their message without the humiliation of someone critiquing their thought process. A screen allows one to "reflect, retype, and edit." If only someone saw me typing and deleting everything I was wanting to say to my boyfriend when we are having an argument. Lately, I have really been struggling with the thought that I need technology to communicate. For example when I am trying to tell someone something, I do better typing it out in a text than saying it. It gives me a second to process what I am feeling and how to word it to where it makes sense.


Picking up the telephone is something that is not done very often. Instant messaging, Facebook, text messaging, and e-mailing have all taken the place of verbally speaking to someone. I do often feel like a phone call is in a way of demanding something from someone. Nowadays if you receive a call you may think someone needs to ask you for something or its an emergency. I also, feel as if people are so busy that they do not have time to talk to me and me wanting to chat for a bit is inconsiderate. Making a phone call can be intimidating, a text is so much simpler. Other than making phone calls, no one ever writes a hand written thank you card anymore. People will not send a text or write on one's Facebook. Why are we so impersonal these days? Why is technology crippling us in a way of being social and polite?

I have truly tried to make an effort in picking up the phone and calling my friends to check on them and see how they are. To be honest the first few times were slightly awkward because many of my friends were not use to receiving a call. Also, many of my friends struggle to carry on a natural conversation without being noticeably uncomfortable. Sometimes when I call my friends and they do not answer, I will leave a voicemail. I will not hear back from them for days but I will get a text saying, "Im so sorry I have not called, I have been so busy. Please forgive me?" If I miss someone's call, I feel pressured to call them back within the next day... Where does the pressure to call someone back come from? Why are phone calls a nuisance when the main thought is just to check on you and catch up?

The little girl Audrey she writes about describes how she has a lot of fun putting fake information up and stepping outside herself. This allows her to talk to people in other countries and say things she usually would not.  Why would a sixteen year old feel as if they need attention from strangers that live across seas? If a child does not receive the attention it needs, it will look to other places for it. Why the internet that is impersonal and then will connect you to impersonal people? Turkle does describe how her trip to Europe allowed her to leave her identity behind. She was able to step out and be anything she wanted without risking her reputation. Technology allows you do this every day without making a trip across the world. You do not have to leave "your world" any more.


Is there a time that people ever turn their technology off? Do people enjoy the continual connection and "being on call?" Turkle speaks of a wife who carried he Blackberry wherever she went. Even hiking she had her phone on the hip. Her husband made continuous call to check in and when she hit a point of no cell service, she was relieved to be left alone temporary. Is this a feeling that is popular in todays society? Do we like to have a break but are also addicted to the feeling of never being disconnected?

 I will occasionally turn my phone off to refresh my mind and register that I am unreachable. With certain people I will leave my phone in my purse and not care too much of what is going on in the world around me. There there is other company I will be around and my phone will never leave my hand. It is strange to think of the habits we develop and how we are so attached and dependent on a device. Not to mention the comfort it gives us. This if you left your phone at home by accident, you just got to the interstate and remember. What feeling immediately floods you? Do you contemplate turning around? Say you do decide you do not have time to go back and get it, how many times throughout the day do you reach for it? Think about it? How alone do you feel?




No comments:

Post a Comment